We’ve been working like a dog to try and make the physical race happen, however, this announcement shouldn’t come as a surprise. With virtual races becoming more normal than the in-person event, we’re sad to say that we’re no exception.
The City of Charleston, City of North Charleston and the entire Charleston Marathon team want you to stay well. It’s been determined that hosting large-scale events, particularly our size, will not be permitted due to COVID-19 restrictions this January. In an effort to potentially postpone the race, we are unable to reach an agreement with city officials to secure a later date to host the event. As a result, we have made the decision to operate as a virtual race for 2021.
We recognize you might be dog-tired of virtual life by now, which is why we’re stepping up our game and dedicated now more than ever to provide you with the Charleston Marathon experience you know and love (minus the long lines and porta-potties).
There is an old saying “If you can’t run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.” To that we say, hold my beer.
‣ Run at Your Convenience – You’ll have 11 days to run the 11th annual race. Run anytime from January 11 – 21 – no early wake up call (lucky dog)!
‣ Swag Sweeter than the Tea – Finish your virtual race in style with the downloadable bib and commemorate your achievement with an upgraded, exclusive light-weight finisher hoodie, blinged out bottle-opener finisher medal and downloadable finisher certificate.
‣ Delivered Direct to Your Porch – Post your selfies and results online, and avoid all parking and shuttles this year. Sit back and relax as we will ship your swag direct to you post run. You can expect to see your swag by the end of January.
‣ Local Dog Discount – Whether you live in Lowcountry or still plan to visit, enjoy one complimentary ticket to a Charleston Riverdogs 2021 season game.
‣ Get Your Money’s Worth – Receive race credit back for any amount you paid over $50 (excluding taxes, fees and donations). Example: Original registration $69 – $50 virtual race = $19 in credit back to you! Runners that purchased iTab engraving will receive a refund of the iTab purchase price.
‣ Support the Community – Your registration will go directly to Arts-rich education that can increase a child’s hope of becoming an inventor, boost teacher success and retention, and build kids’ community and cultural awareness through our charity partner Engaging Creative Minds (ECM).
‣ Dare to Double Down? – Run virtually with us in 2021 and commit to running the Holy City with us in person in 2022 and receive an extra treat post race. All 2021 finishers will receive an exclusive 12% off opening prices towards your 2022 race registration. That’s right! A unique discount code valid for 12% off the 12th annual event will come your way allowing you to make it twice as nice, we double dog dare you.
Those registered before the conversion to virtual race on October 2 are already signed up for the virtual race! No action required.
Not interested in the virtual race? That’s ruff, but we understand. While we’re not offering refunds, thanks to Worry Free Registration, if you were registered before the conversion to virtual race on October 2, you can request your registration fee back in the form of race credit. To start this process fill out the Race Credit Request form by Friday, October 9 at 11:59 PM.
All you other Big Dogs out there, prepare to pause the porch swing and get ready to embark on the 2021 Charleston Marathon: Virtual Edition.