The 2020 Bay to Breakers Race is Going Virtual
Well, it’s happened. Just like it’s happened to everyone else. (And here we thought we were special.)
After postponing the iconic Bay to Breakers race from May to September, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the live event. The City and County of San Francisco along with the entire Bay to Breakers team want you to stay well, and we’re not confident that it will be safe (or legal) to host large crowds in the fall due to COVID-19.
But don’t toss last year’s Halloween costume just yet, because we’re taking the crazy online. Bay to Breakers is going virtual…and you’re already signed up!
Throw on that Iron Man mask or make your own epic costume, we won’t judge—and join us anytime between September 20 – October 2, 2020.
- Choose your route—we recommend mapping out one that will shock the most neighbors.
- Pick your time, whether you prefer to run at 5 AM or 5 PM.
- Party in our online community rooms.
- Share your race-selfies, costume, and more with your adoring fans on social media using the hashtag #BaytoBreakers.
- Upload your results to see if you beat your friend running in the unicorn costume.
Your shirt or tank, medal and bib will be delivered to your front door to prove you’ve been there, done that—plus a bonus hoodie to signify the uniqueness of the 2020 race. We’ll also send you a refund for all of your add-on purchases (within 5-10 business days), like packet mailing, iTab engraving, VIP Upgrade and the Breakers Bonus.
- No action is needed to remain a participant in the virtual race. We will reach out the Week of July 13 to confirm your shipping address and swag sizes. All swag will be delivered directly to you during the week of October 16.
Still not interested? That hurts, but it’s okay. While we can’t refund your registration, we have waived the deferral fee and are happy to help get you into Bay to Breakers 2021 or Bay to Breakers 2022. The deadline for completing your deferral form is July 10th at 9:00 AM PT.
Bay to Breakers originally started with the purpose of unifying a recovering San Francisco community after a devastating event. For the past 109 years, Bay to Breakers has served as a celebration of the strength and resilience of the Bay area. Now in 2020, though we’ll meet virtually, we hope you choose to keep the celebration going in a time it’s needed most. We still want the athleticism, the spirit, and the determination to flow across the bay into the breakers, and keep the tradition alive.
Have more questions? Please see FAQs below.
How does the deferral process work?
Please visit BayToBreakers.com/Defer for full details on the deferral process.